Author Topic: reading keywords to filter on  (Read 312 times)

markui

reading keywords to filter on
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:25:50 pm »
My usual workflow starts in DXO PhotoLab where the images are first given a quick look to remove the fails and to give the rest a basic set of adjustment. Then I give extra attention to the better ones and any that need more are sent to Affinity for special treatment. Meanwhile Photo Supreme is used to apply keywords.

Therein is the issue. Once a set of keywords is applied and saved in the image, how can I identify them in DXO so it can find them to do its magic when exporting them? Not asking for a full DAM suite of tools, but if DXO could at least read the keywords and filter on them, it would be a major improvement.

I've created XMP sidecars but that doesn't appear to do anything in DXO.

Fotoguido

Re: reading keywords to filter on
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 05:25:43 pm »
I wouldn't Play around with Photo Supreme or something before all pictures are ready, too much effort for lots of pics which may be deleted later anyway by e.g. technical reasons or whatever.

What I am doing:

I have a standard Preset for my cams which I usually use. Normally as a first step all pics in e.g. Folder "2018 08 01&event name" would get this Preset and then I'm going further. When there are deviations to be expected (e.g night, portraits, landscape, highkey/lowkey, etc. even lens) I'm sometimes creating subfolders and move pics to them accordingly, then first apply e.g. D7200 Preset and then apply deviations from standard preset to all pics e.g. lower contrast, saturation, sharpness whatever.

When all pics are ready I re-move them to the final folder, do some smart renaming with Irfanview using date and time and so bring pics back into original sequence. You find the function under File/Batch Conversion/renaming (do not know exactly cause I'm using german version). As new name you can use e.g. File $E36868_###_$N what results into „File 2018_04_21-09_57_32_00x_Org.Name“  Now you have all your pics back in sequence and can finally rename to your taste. Nice trick also for multi camera/photographer usage e.g. weddings - only when camera time settings are in synch ;-) But be careful, use Help, check it out accordingly to avoid getting into a mess ;-) Also, other Exif field names can be used and can be found in Irfanview Help.

Hope this helps
Cheers

markui

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 04:50:13 am »
All of my images get proper names (year-month-day-hour-minute-second plus an optional number in case I use a high speed drive and make more than one per second. All this is done in Downloader Pro. Any batch renaming is handled by BreezeBrowser Pro. No special reason except I'm used to it.

Still leaves me the problem of identifying images by keywords for further work in DXO. I suppose I could create copies in a dedicated folder made just for that reason but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a single file for each image.

is there a better / easier way?

Before i started using a DAM, I would create multiple sub-folders for different images and store an appropriate copy in each. It was a sort of physical keywording. It worked at the cost of extra disk space.

LarryW

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:11:35 am »
I don't know if you ever found a solution but unless I'm totally missing something you can't filter on keywords in DxO Photo Lab.  Nor can you assign color labels.  Two things I've requested but so far nothing.

My workflow is to import into Photo Supreme for culling and assigning any color labels or keywords and star/rate and any other metadata I want to add those I want to pp in DPL (I use 5 since that's not a common rating for me)and then go to DPL for post processing. DPL does recognize the ratings.

I know DPL is not a DAM but it seems some basic DAM functions should be added because assigning keywords, geo tagging, etc are important functions in photo management.

photography