Author Topic: Updates  (Read 1574 times)

pplus

Updates
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:55:39 pm »
Any ideas what will be in the DXO PhotoLab update next month..

I’m thinking additional NIK components and enhancing components already there.

Two things I have requested are: add 5x7 crop as an option and when creating a duplicate to have the new copy be the new active image.  Several times I have created a duplicate and started working only to discover I’m doing my experimenting on the original NEF as opposed to the newly created copy.

I am so thrilled with the quality of the images using DXO.  I have Capture One Pro and Lightroom on my computer, but for me, image definition and color output is just the best with DXO PhotoLab.

Nick_

Re: Updates
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 10:24:16 am »
Any ideas what will be in the DXO PhotoLab update next month..
I’m thinking additional NIK components and enhancing components already there.
DxO has a tradition of non communicating very much. The next version will improve the integration of NIK components into the soft.

Two things I have requested are: add 5x7 crop as an option and when creating a duplicate to have the new copy be the new active image.  Several times I have created a duplicate and started working only to discover I’m doing my experimenting on the original NEF as opposed to the newly created copy.
Are you talking about Virtual Copies? A new VC is the clone of the selected image whether the latter was untouched or already modified but then it lives its own life. There is no master copy. All VCs are born equal so which one is the original doesn’t matter.
When I open a folder of new pics my first move is to create copies of them all. As a rule of thumb I work on #2 and leave #1 untouched as a reference but sometimes I make the same mistake as yours. Anyway DPL gets often confused and randomly renumbers the VCs.
To identify which one is the original I don’t rate it and give 2 stars to the modified one.

I am so thrilled with the quality of the images using DXO.  I have Capture One Pro and Lightroom on my computer, but for me, image definition and color output is just the best with DXO PhotoLab.
We all hope DxO will find a solution to continue operating.
Nick

ColinG

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 12:20:19 pm »

[/quote]
We all hope DxO will find a solution to continue operating.
Nick
[/quote]

Indeed. An update will be welcomed but assured continuity of the company and software is what we need.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09:19:36 pm »
An update will be welcomed but assured continuity of the company and software is what we need.
Well, yes, but "assured continuity" does not mean much if the company does not continue to add new functionality to its existing base functionality. Otherwise we would all be left with no usable tool when we buy new cameras and new lenses.

I am reasonably sure that PhotoLab will continue in the short term, but I am not so sure about what the long term prospects are. Without a vibrant and continuing development team continued existence might only mean that the product continues to fall behind in the marketplace, and that would surely be the end of the product as we know it.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 06:21:36 am »
An update will be welcomed but assured continuity of the company and software is what we need.
I am reasonably sure that PhotoLab will continue in the short term, but I am not so sure about what the long term prospects are. Without a vibrant and continuing development team continued existence might only mean that the product continues to fall behind in the marketplace, and that would surely be the end of the product as we know it.
Absolutely correct. To keep up with new camera and lens development is perhaps an impossible aspiration given the speed that camera/lens companies bring our new stuff and this is the big downside of the PhotoLab set-up. I requested support for my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ90 when I bought it in December 2017 and received a stock letter reply but no Optic Module has been published yet. I do not know how long it takes for testing and whether or not 5 months is a short or long time in these things. I also do not know whether or not this camera is even being tested. It would be good if a list of cameras/lenses that are currently being tested and perhaps a pending testing list were made available.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Nick_

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:54:55 am »
By a “solution” I mean a massive infusion of cash to allow hiring developers and start an aggressive marketing.
Nick

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 03:21:12 pm »
By a “solution” I mean a massive infusion of cash to allow hiring developers and start an aggressive marketing.
I think every PhotoLab user hopes that the company stays in business, and is able to get bought out by some company with enough money to fund operations, but I believe that this is a two-edged sword.

I am not, and never have been, a businessman so perhaps my view is completely wrong, but it seems to me that it is just as important who comes to the rescue of PhotoLab as whether or not someone does. PhotoLab is a very high quality product, and people like it and buy it because it is a very high quality product. Its noise removal and sharpening functionality are perhaps the best available but I think the product will fail, regardless of money, if the new owners fail to continue the dedication to quality that has produced this product. I think that PhotoLab is basically in competition with Lightroom and CaptureOne, not with products like AfterShot Pro, and I would want its functionality to continue at that same level.

My main concern is that some company, with a lot of money but no interest in preserving its current quality, will buy it and the product will slowly wither and die anyway, regardless of the available money, because its current user base will slowly move to its competition.

Then again, perhaps I am wrong.

ColinG

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 09:49:15 am »
Well, yes, but "assured continuity" does not mean much if the company does not continue to add new functionality to its existing base functionality. Otherwise we would all be left with no usable tool when we buy new cameras and new lenses.

By assured continuity I mean as is or better. To wish for anything else would be absurd. That said whilst PL is a great product it is still lacking a lot of the functionality found elsewhere so it could be said that it is already slipping behind. I suspect DxO realise that and that is why they bought Nik.

Nick_

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 11:17:36 am »
My main concern is that some company, with a lot of money but no interest in preserving its current quality, will buy it and the product will slowly wither and die anyway, regardless of the available money, because its current user base will slowly move to its competition.
Right. DxO needs investors that plan to develop the company.
Google bought the NIK collection and then lost interest in it and stopped supporting it. I hope the people interested in bringing some capital to DxO will be motivated to make it thrive.
But we are out of the initial topic.
Nick

MJSfoto1956

• http://www.jmichaelsullivan.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 03:03:19 pm »
Rest assured, any potential investor would be doing their due-diligence by scanning this forum for comments by current users. Keep it positive folks!

ColinG

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 11:13:33 pm »
Not sure what a potential investor would get from visiting this site. How many users does DxO have and how many are active on this forum. As for Nik, Google had no intention of developing the software, they just wanted to take the bits they needed - that is how I understand it anyway.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 03:12:00 pm »
Rest assured, any potential investor would be doing their due-diligence by scanning this forum for comments by current users. Keep it positive folks!
Perhaps, although I doubt that a user forum would be one of the places a potential buyer would be searching.

But, if they did, then mostly what they would find on this forum are users saying that they hope the software survives and keeps up its excellent record. I do not see any issue with any of that and I think any potential buyers would only be pleased with user's posts. No one here is bad-mouthing the product, so I think your concern, while valid, is not necessary.

photography