Author Topic: NIck PLugins  (Read 1980 times)

MikeFromMesa

Re: NIck PLugins
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 02:47:21 pm »

Mike, which plugins are you referring to in Nik? I use ColorEfex and always thought that just had save but it does also have save as as an option.

I do not call any plugins from PhotoLab. I use either Affinity Photo or PhotoLine as my external editor and, if I want to call any plugins, I do it from there. However I do have the stuff on my system and that is what I tried when I responded to your original post. I ran 4 plugins - Dfine, Silver Efex, Color Efex and Viveza and did not see any Save As on the plugin display. I did it again this morning when I saw your response and realized that I had not looked on the Apple Control Bar or under the File entry. I looked only at the plugin dialog box. That was my mistake, and I am sorry about that. I can now see the Save As. Perhaps if I used those plugins more I would have seen it.

But that would seem to eliminate any concern about not seeing the jpg thumbnail (or main image) update as you can just do what I have been doing for several years now - change the name when you save it back. The lack of a DAM is a different issue.

I do not have any need for a DAM as I copy my images to my Mac, work on them and then move them to completely different disks using a completely different organization structure so the lack of a DAM in PL does not bother me. If I had that need I probably would have purchased a different piece of software to do that as I have completely moved away from Adobe for my photo editing.

I still have my purchased Lightroom as I still have my purchased Photoshop CS5.1, but I rarely use either and my preferred raw converter is PhotoLab.

In my view there are only something like 6 workflow tools for the Mac - Lightroom, PhotoLab, CaptureOne, Corel's AfterShot Pro, Photo Ninja and ACDSee's Photo Studio, and only the first 3 seem to me to fit into the "first rate" category. The others are perfectly OK, but not up to the quality of the first 3 in my view.

I am not sure if CaptureOne has a built-in DAM. I have used C1 before, and like it quite a bit, but since I have no need for a DAM I do not know if it includes one or if there are any plans to add one. I do know the price and that is why I am no longer using it. I originally bought it during a 1/2 price sale and upgraded it to version 9, but stopped then as I did not see any real need to spend the money to upgrade further. It does have the best color editing system of any of the 6 tools I have used, and the rest of its functionality is quite good, but not good enough for me to spend the extra money to upgrade.

Asser

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 03:19:52 pm »
You have been a great help, Asser. What I will do is convert the raw to jpeg and then have the jpeg and dop viewable in Bridge. The jpeg is a representation of the edited raw and if I want to go back to the raw I just click on the dop. Also helps with stuff like Nik plugins as I can run them from within Bridge :-)

Yes, exactly like that. Normally there are two independent stages:

Stage 1: You search and look at your catalogued and keyworded versions (JPEG/TIFF/whatever) which look like developed raws, because you just want to look at your photos or make a selection for an external task. During this stage you do not need any DOP or RAW files.

Stage 2: You decide that you developed not optimal in the first cycle or you want a different export, because you need a 16bit TIFF for Affinity for example. In this case you make the DOP/RAW visible again, start to work with DxO on it and export an additional version to Bridge. After that you make the DOP/RAWs invisible again and return to Stage 1.

After you get used to it, you will not miss much. In the worst case you could even work with RAWs without thumbnail support, because your camera is too new for example. You just need a naming scheme to easily find the RAW for a version, and the only tool which must understand the RAW at that time is PhotoLab.

This workflow reduces your DAM requirements and increases the chance that an upcoming new DAM (Affinity?) might be even better usable for you. You could skip all integrated RAW development features there and just use the DAM part, if it is better than the one of Bridge.

ColinG

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 05:32:19 pm »
I guess if camera support is not in Bridge there is always DNG. I believe PL supports DNG from Adobe. Another DAM that is on the horizon is Luminar which will be out in a couple or so months.

Asser

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 08:57:51 pm »
I just played with Bridge. In the preferences you can assign PhotoLab to your raw format. This way you can open photolab by double clicking the raw, and only the selected raw is opened instead of the complete folder. Opening a multi selection works also by using "Open" in the context menu. You can export your keywords from lightroom and import them in bridge. Right clicking a keyword there is a command to search for files containing the keyword. So quite useable.

photography